General Submission Guidelines
The Cover Letter
The cover letter should be typed. Be sure to include the following:
- a two- or three-sentence biographical statement, preferably in the third person. If using first person, please include your gender pronouns (she/her, they/them, he/his, etc.);
- your full mailing address, e-mail address (if you have one) and phone number;
- the title(s) of the piece(s) you are submitting;
- the genre of the piece(s) you are submitting (poetry, fiction, non-fiction).
Let us know if you are just starting to send out your work.
- Send a maximum of six poems OR one story per submission and send only one submission at a time.
- Maximum length for fiction and creative non-fiction:10,000 words.
- Prairie Fire does not accept previously published work.
- We ask that you let us know if your work is also submitted elsewhere, and, if it is accepted, to notify us right away.
- Your submission should be typed (double-spaced) on one side of the page only. Poetry may be single-spaced.
- Left and right margins of at least 1.25 inches, and top and bottom margins of at least 1 inch.
- Each page of poetry must contain your name and address at the top left.
- For fiction and creative non-fiction, centre the title halfway down on the first page, with your name below it. Include a word count at the top right corner of the first page and your address at the top left corner. Make sure your pages are numbered.
- Use 8.5 x 11–inch standard white bond paper.
- Do not staple the pages together (paper clips are permissible).
- Include an e-mail address for notification, or a self-addressed envelope with sufficient postage for the return of the manuscript or for notification.
- Submissions from outside Canada are accepted but must include an e-mail address, international reply coupons, or Canadian postage for notification.
- Faxed or e-mailed submissions are not accepted.
Prairie Fire Press, Inc.
423 – 100 Arthur Street
Winnipeg, MB R3B 1H3
Ph: (204) 943-9066
Please note: We buy First North American Serial Rights and First Digital Publication Rights only. After publication, copyright reverts to the author.