Rates of Payment
Prairie Fire magazine buys First North American Serial Rights Only. Rights are reassigned to the author upon publication. Payment is made following publication and includes one (1) free contributor’s copy*. We reserve the right to refuse payment for work that proves to have been previously published elsewhere, or that turns out to have been plagiarized. Anything not covered by this rate sheet will be negotiated separately. These rates are subject to change without notice.
Print Rates (Prairie Fire magazine)
Prose: $0.10 per word.
- Fiction: short fiction, excerpts from longer works: maximum fee $250.
- Articles, creative non-fiction, editorials, essays, memoirs: maximum fee $250.
- Interviews, profiles: maximum fee subject: $75; interviewer: $125.
- Other prose: correspondence, notes, plays, scripts, etc.: maximum fee $50.
Poetry: $40 per poem.
- Charts, graphs, musical scores, etc.: maximum fee $40.
Visual art rates
- Front Cover: $100 for reprint rights.
- Illustrations, portfolios, portraits: $25 per page for reprint rights.
On-Line Rates (www.prairiefire.ca)
Interviews: $.10 per word: maximum fee subject $75; interviewer $100.
*Additional contributor copies can be purchased at discount (40%) through Prairie Fire. Please note, in order to purchase copies at the reduced rate, you must phone (204-943-9066) or email Lindsey: lindsey(at)prairiefire.ca.